Friday, October 26, 2012

I did it!!

I conquered my fear of the Crockpot (at least step 1 of conquering it!) Last week I spent one day cooking 10 meals for my freezer. Most of them are Crockpot recipes, which is amazing!

 I took this (and a lot of meat!):


and made it into this!


7 Crockpot meals and 3 pot pies, all of which went straight into the freezer. All I have to do is dump the bag into the Crockpot along with whatever liquid the recipe requires, and I have dinner ready with literally no prep!

It took 3 1/2 hours of solid chopping and pre-cooking, but that's only about 20 minutes per meal! Plus it only dirtied 1 pot, 1 skillet, 2 cutting boards, 2 knives, 3 bowls and a handful of utensils. I normally make more dishes than that cooking one meal!

Once I taste them all I'll post the recipes and a shopping list (I saw several other blogs that had done this and later posted that the recipes were bland and I didn't want to do that to you.)

In the meantime, here's a yummy Crockpot breakfast recipe:


Breakfast Casserole

1 pkg bacon (or ham or sausage, the bacon got lost in the dish)
1 onion, chopped
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
32 oz frozen hashbrowns
2 1/2 c shredded cheese
12 eggs
1c milk
Spices/seasoning as desired (I used seasoning salt, fresh ground pepper, onion and garlic powder and chipotle)

Cook bacon and chop.
Saute pepper, garlic and onion for 5 minutes.
Place 1/3 hashbrowns in Crockpot. Add 1/3 bacon, 1/3 garlic and onion mix and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat. 

Mix egg, milk and spices (make sure to season heavily enough for the potatoes, I seasoned based on the quantity of eggs and it was bland because I forgot about the potatoes). Pour over layers in Crockpot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until 160 degrees. (Mine was done in less than 8 but my Crockpot runs hot).

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good. I'm sure my wife would like this recipe.

    ReplyDelete