Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I have a confession...

I'm afraid of my Crockpot!

I'm not afraid that it's going to become animated and eat me, or that it's going to burn my house down (although I do have that thought sometimes...).

I'm afraid because I don't use it enough. I haven't figured out how to convert recipes to work in it. My kids aren't big fans of one-pot meals, so often all that work is wasted. Plus, I'm a taster when I cook. I taste, mess with the seasoning, taste, etc... which you can't do with a Crockpot.

So I'm on a mission. I'm going to use my Crockpot at least once a week. I'll post the good, the bad and the ugly. Plus tomorrow I'm doing a massive food prep day (like cooking a whole month's worth of meals in one day), almost all of which are Crockpot meals. Chop everything in advance, bag it, freeze it an dump it in the Crockpot. So I'll share those recipes once we taste them.

Here's dinner from a few nights ago. It came out pretty well, although I'd much rather use it as taco filling than eating it over rice.



Crockpot Salsa Chicken

2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (or 1 lg jar salsa)
1/2 cup chopped onion (skip if using salsa)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 can chopped green chiles
½ cup taco seasoning
1 TB garlic powder
2 t onion powder
2 t cumin
2 t chipotle powder (optional, unless you like heat!)

Put chicken in bottom of crockpot. Add all other ingredients and cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred chicken and add 1 c sour cream (optional). Serve over rice or use as taco filling.

 Before Cooking
 After Cooking
 After shredding and adding sour cream (possibly skip the sour cream and 
put it on separately, it makes it a little weird if you reheat it).

Let me know if you have any favorite Crockpot recipes! I need inspiration. Please!




1 comment:

  1. I am an awful cook. I do use my crockpot though. I make pot roast and spaghetti in it.

    ReplyDelete